Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Noticing NLP everywhere

My NLP awareness is building very strongly that I notice the elements of NLP
everywhere. To name a few :

REFRAMING - Today, it was surprising to see how two different news portals projected a news. Sify website says 'NDA is close to get the majority'. Indian Expess says 'NDA just falls short of majority'. That's a nice instance of reframing.

METAPHOR - Today is the day that marks the 50th year of when Roger Bannister became the first man to break the 4 minute barrier to reach the one mile. The living legend has become a metaphor for 'Peak Performance'

STIMULUS-RESPONSE - Today (too) the weather is good that Bangalore is recording 26deg C. But do we know that weather is just a weather. It has no plans to spoil or energize our mood. It is we who respond to the weather conditions. If weather condition is meant to affect our mood, the news televisions would report like 'Today residents of North India had mood varying from 'bad to ok' whereas South Indians were very happy throughout the day !!!'

MODELING ? - Yesterday my neighbor's kid Smrithi (5 year old) was playing in our home. She carried a teddy bear called 'Lippy'. When I gave some biscuits to Smrithi, she said today was 'Lippy's' bday'. Her timing and imagination was very hilarious; I had to sing Happy Bday and gave some more biscuits for Lippy also (Advantage Smirthi !). She said that she was the mom of Lippy and its very difficult to manage her. I asked her how did she say that. She said, 'Its very difficult to makmake Lippy to sleep. While I pat her to sleep, I sleep off. Then Lippy wakes me up to pat her again.....". Her imagination continued. Then I took her home and shared with her mom what she did. Smrithi's mom said "She was imitating me only. It was me who used to sleep off while I make Smrithi sleep". I was surprised that how fast these kids learn (and what they learn). That's a good news as well as a warning !!!. Could NLP stand for "Notice...Learn...Practice" when it comes to Modeling ?

MIRRORING - I wrote to an editor of a NLP website and ended my mail "Hope to hear from you sooner". When he replied answering my queries, he wrote back "...I look forward to hearing from you again,..". A sign of mirroring ?

You can also pickup Deletions, Distortions, Generalization from my mail :)

No comments: